: a wasteful or impractical project or activity often involving graft
or... we can just call it a "Morale Trip." The definition of that sounds a little nicer. I'd like to think I was awarded the opportunity to travel to the South Pole based purely on my work ethic and because a morale boost at this point in the season is always welcomed.
The trip was absolutely amazing. I had a great group of people on my flight and we had a blast.
Due to some connections I've made down here- I was invited up onto the flight deck to spend the remainder of our flight into South Pole station in the cockpit. Besides having a great view as we descended, I was able to listen to all radio communications between the pilot, co-pilot, navigator, engineer and South Pole station ops... but my favorite part was the hilarious banter between the flight crew. Definitely got some good laughs in- and apparently I have a nice radio voice!
The trip was absolutely amazing. I had a great group of people on my flight and we had a blast.
Due to some connections I've made down here- I was invited up onto the flight deck to spend the remainder of our flight into South Pole station in the cockpit. Besides having a great view as we descended, I was able to listen to all radio communications between the pilot, co-pilot, navigator, engineer and South Pole station ops... but my favorite part was the hilarious banter between the flight crew. Definitely got some good laughs in- and apparently I have a nice radio voice!
Once we landed and deplaned, we had approximately 30 minutes to run out to the ceremonial pole and take pictures, run to the geographical south pole and take pictures and then squeeze in a quick tour of the actual station... which I must say is quite nice. But they deserve it down there- Polies are only allowed a couple short showers a week and it's dang cold.
The trip was short, but definitely sweet. The ride home was uneventful, but beautiful; a fantastic combination.
When we were in range of McMurdo, we learned that there were 20 knot cross winds. This isn't an ideal condition for landing, so the pilot decided to take us on a quick tour of the ice edge. Due to turbulence, we had to seat ourselves, so I wasn't able to get any good shots in- but that's okay. The plane finally touched ground and the load master opened up the back end of the plane to give us a quick peak as we taxied to our final resting point.
We deplaned for our final time, hungry and tired. My friend Lindsey and I decided to eat dinner at the runway galley and catch a different shuttle back into town. This worked to our advantage... there is a molting Emperor penguin at the 8 mile marker who loves attention. We stopped and took a couple pictures of our new friend. He was sad to see us go- he squawked, flapped his wings in contempt and then flopped down on his belly as we drove away. It was as if he was throwing a tantrum- silly penguin!
Sometimes it can be hard to remember to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you when you're caught up in day to day life- even in Antarctica. It's little things like glittering fog, the sound of silence or a massive volcano looming before you that can give you a gentle nudge to always enjoy your surroundings- always take a few extra seconds to appreciate the beauty we're given, and always have fun doing it.

1 comment:
Your exactly right..life's too short not to stop and smell the roses or in ur case get frost bite and play w the penguins ;) I love all your pictures and hearing about your adventures, miss you friend!
Post a Comment